Hi, I'm Flaviu 👋 It's great to have you here.
At core, I am driven by joy, curiosity and a passion for clear thinking. I want to understand the world and use that understanding to improve it.
I am a scientist trained in physics. My PhD thesis looked at how we design better molecules using computers.
I work as a research strategist at IBM Research Europe. There, I design new materials for carbon capture using artificial intelligence and automated experiments. My research is in the area we call accelerated discovery: how do we use artificial intelligence to increase the speed of making discoveries.
Before carbon capture, I have discovered new antibiotics with AI . I have designed a small protein that makes fractal holes in the membrane of bacteria (you can think of it as an antibiotic with a sense of style). I have also led a team to improve collaboration in drug discovery
Alongside my research, I am very interested in how we gather online to have impact. I co-founded Global Shapers Manchester . The hub trains young people to be responsible leaders and builds projects that help local communities. For example, we are installing happy benches around the city to spark serendipity and joy.
Dance is also a core part of my life. I have been active for over 10 years on the UK tango scene.
In the past, my curiosity has led me to:
- Collaborate with a glass blower to sculpt my PhD.
- Use AI to help a composer make music.
- Write a book chapter how dance and physics connect.
- Speak at the Royal College of Art's Grand Challenge 2020 on Beyond Tech: Questions to guide the future of design.
- Co-design an innovative summer school where our ice breaker was tasting with one of the best chocolatiers in the world
- Research the spreading of the seafloor in the Atlantic when I was 16.
The internet can be an amazing place to connect. If any of this resonates, don't be a stranger and let's chat! You can email me using my first name at hey.com, send me a DM on Twitter or subscribe below.
✌️ ☀️ Flaviu